I’m not that young any more, which means that 3 nights of drinking is pretty hard going. So although it was a beautiful day today, the only sun I saw was the reflection on my walls in my flat. Most of this afternoon has been spent with my feet up on the sofa internetting. Today’s topic has been adventure researching. Yes, that is a map of the USA…
I listened to Nessun Dorma this afternoon. It appeared on a friend’s playlist on Spotify and I’d not heard it for a while so decided to play it. I don’t usually listen to classical music (find it a bit boring) and really only know of Nessun Dorma from a drunken night on a training course from years ago. As I was listening it made me remember that training course. It wasn’t your usual training course. It was a Research Skills course for people working for Police Forces. Sounds innocent enough. A two week course held at a MOD camp in Essex. Our accommodation was old married quarter houses for all of us, split into a few houses for ladies and gents.
It basically ended up a two week drinking and partying binge. One day the trainer finished the day really early because we were all so hungover. I’m sure some stuff got learnt. It was one of the best courses I went on, but not really for the right reasons. Some of the things that I [can] remember about it:
- The pool car I was given had a leak and so the footwells were about 2 inches deep in water. Not pleasant when spending 3 hours driving down to Essex and I spent quite a lot of time using a paper cup bailing the water out during the week (as it pretty much rained the whole time), much to other people’s amusement.
- Very cheap drinks in the on-site bar.
- The long walk to the canteen where we had all our meals. The food was OK, but a lot of people went to the local supermarket to avoid the long walk. Lazy arses.
- The party we threw in one of the houses where we drank a shed load of alcohol, played charades and the trainer sung Nessun Dorma at the top of his lungs at about 3am in the morning (it was the day after this that he ended the day early because we were all so battered, him included).
- That because of this party they stopped people staying in the houses and put them in single rooms on future courses.
- Hanging out my bedroom window to smoke (shows how long ago it was now).
- The affair that started between a [married] guy and a woman (it actually turned into a proper relationship and lasted a few years).
- The guy who got a bit obsessed with one of the girls on the course.
- Having to do ‘homework’ with dice which took aaaages.
- Coming home to find the ex had decorated the bathroom while I’d been away. Bonus.
- Learning to live with strangers for two weeks.
- Making lots of new friends and keeping in touch with at least 2 people for a good couple of years afterwards.
I’m sure there was more but it was so long ago now I can’t remember everything. Suffice to say, I had a ball.